My husband forgot his camera when the Party of One people met at Bertucci’s Restaurant this past Sunday. Too bad, too, because all the people who attended were good-looking and impeccably dressed. Oh, well, maybe next time.
As the Party of One regulars get to know each other better, I notice that they’re more apt to make referrals, which is the number one way to grow. Even though I advertise in a number of places, online and in print, most of our members have come from one person telling another.
Isn’t that way it is with witnessing—one person telling another person about Jesus?
When people see Christ in us, they wonder what we’re up to. They may even ask. Are you ready to answer? Here are a few tips.
- Make sure the person you are witnessing to believes you care about them. The more you get to know them, the more you will care about them. Caring is harder with some people. Know up front that it won’t be easy and it will take time.
- Know where the person is coming from or what they are going through. It will help you to be sensitive to their needs: a frazzled single mother, an out of work neighbor, a widow, or person with a substance abuse problem.
- Adapt to your surroundings as much as you can without compromising your beliefs. In 1st Corinthians, the Apostle Paul writes: “Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people . . . I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life.” (1Co 9:19 & 22 MSG)
- Tell your own story of your spiritual conversion. It’s hard to argue with someone’s personal experience.
- Be transparent. Don’t pretend your life is perfect because you are a Christian. It isn’t, they can see that, and pretending won’t help either one of you.
- Tell them where you used to be (minus the gory details), where you are now (don’t take the credit!), and where you hope to be. HOPE is what they need.
- Finally, invite them to share a meal with you at your Party of One Fellowship.
If you haven’t started a Party of One Fellowship in your area, contact me and I’ll send you all the information you need to get started!